A lawn is the most fundamental element of any garden or green landscape. It is the process of growing healthy grass for a green carpet, that can enhance the beauty of a landscape and bring your close to nature. However, the process of maintaining the lawn or grass maintenance can be quite tricky, especially if you’re a beginner.
According to certified practising horticulturists a healthy and green lawn should be properly fertilised thrice a year. Poor maintenance can lead to pest infestation which in turn can impact the other trees and plants in your garden. But if you’re a beginner at lawn maintenance or gardening, it can be a daunting task. So, here is a list of tips which can help you easily maintain the health and aesthetics of your lawn.
5 Tips for a Healthy and Lush Lawn
1. Time for lawn renovation – If you think your lawn is infested with pests, filled with weeds and the health of the soil is too poor to sustain proper growth of any type of grass, then it is time for a complete renovation. However, before committing to a complete lawn renovation it is advised to get your landscape and lawn evaluated by a certified practising horticulturist.
2. Weeding – Often a complete lawn renovation is not necessary to protect the health of a lawn and provide necessary nutrients. A proper routine of weeding, mowing and mulching can unlock the potential of your lawn. Weeds can often overwhelm the growth of your grass species and make the lawn look mouldy and unhealthy. Therefore, you need to introduce weeding into the grass maintenance routine ASAP!
3. Mulching – Add a layer of mulch to the soil after thoroughly weeding the lawn. Organic mulch can enhance fertility and protect soil moisture and soil health. Organic mulch usually includes pieces of tree bark, wood chips, leaves and other materials that are easily available in a garden. You can use the grass clippings after mowing the lawn to line the base of your house, the tree trunks and more.
4. Select the correct grass – Lawn care is easier when you’ve selected a grass species that is suitable for the weather, in Singapore. Axonopus compressus is the most common form of grass available in Singapore. This particular type of grass is called cow grass. Since this type of grass suits the weather, it will be easier for you to keep it healthy.
5. Water them in the morning – Be it your backyard landscape or the grass bed of your green roof, the best time to water the grass is early morning. Between 6 am to 10 am is the most appropriate time to water your lawn and you don’t have to do it daily. A regular, well-maintained lawn should be watered twice or thrice each week.
The first step toward effective lawn maintenance is not to be overwhelmed by the things you need to do for your lawn. The above list has been developed to do just that. The aim is to simplify grass or lawn maintenance for you, if you’re still overwhelmed, contact your nearest certified practising horticulturist to help develop a grass or lawn care routine.