A green roofing system as the name suggests refers to the addition of growing flora on the existing roof of a building. To keep the system safe and undamaged, green roofing is typically characterized by features including multiple protection layers, waterproofing, root-repellent systems, etc. Mostly the plants chosen for a green roof should be able to withstand intense heat and survive on low soil moisture like Minimus, aromatic herbs, Sedum sarmentosum, etc. Though green roofs have a higher set-up cost than conventional roofs, the long-term benefits offered by them far outweigh the costs incurred. The set-up costs of drip irrigation systems and green roofing systems vary depending on the type of system used and fall between a range of $120 per square meter to $400 per square meter.
Different types of Green Roofing: There are two primary forms of green roofing including extensive and intensive green roofing and a mix of both extensive and intensive green roofing – Comprehensive roofing, details for which are highlighted below:
• Extensive green roofing can support over 25 pounds of vegetation per foot and the flora is mostly left to grow naturally, requiring only yearly fertilization and weeding,
• Intensive green roofing can support over 150 pounds of vegetation per foot and takes a lot more time and effort to maintain, as it involves keeping different types of plants separate and regularly maintaining a working garden,
• Comprehensive green roofing is a mix of both extensive and intensive roofing, as it allows for a greater amount of vegetation to be supported, along with supporting a wide variety of plants.
Overall, green roofing offers several advantages at economic, environmental, and societal levels, primary ones amongst them including:
• Enhanced Air Quality: The flora on the roof reduces the spread of dust and smog in the air in addition to catching several pollutants in the air, thereby leading to purification,
• Provides a rainwater buffer: With the water buffering in the plants, substrate, and then, the drainage layer, the green roof absorbs the rainwater and delays its discharge in the sewer system, helping to stabilize the groundwater level,
• Reduced Energy consumption: A green roof helps to maintain a cooler temperature, in turn meaning less energy consumption by air conditioning systems, etc. thereby saving overall costs,
• Aesthetically pleasing: Green roofs can be used as gardens or as recreational areas, adding to the overall beauty of the place,
• Extension of roof lifespan: Green roofing extends the lifetime of the roof by protecting the roofing material from day-to-day damage caused due to changing weather conditions.
The trend of green roofing is fast increasing, and the innovations being brought in terms of its distinct offerings, have made it a must-have for environmental protection and preservation. The task of creating green roofing and green roof maintenance can look daunting, however, professionals in the field can help create immaculate green roof structures and designs, as per one’s preferences. In case you are looking for professional green roofing experts here in Singapore, do reach out to Prince’s Landscape Pte Ltd for your one-stop solution for green roofing needs.